Treating Female Pattern Hair Loss – Get Control Of Your Hair With Metamorphosis
A significant section of women experience hair loss at some point, and the tendency is higher in postmenopausal women with bald patches or hair thinning. Hair loss has a psychological effect on women more than men. Hair thinning and baldness in women affect their quality of life and well-being.
Thinning hair and hair loss: could it be female pattern hair loss.
If you notice a widening part while combing your hair and an equally thinning ponytail when typing up the hair, the chances are that you may be suffering from a condition known as FPHL or female pattern hair loss. FPHL is estimated as one of the primary reasons for hair loss in women. It usually affects women in midlife or when she is in her 40s, 50s and 60s.
- FPHL is a condition in which women keep losing hair progressively.
- You may not lose all your hair in FPHL, but the part gets wider, and the hair near the temples may become thin, and without undergoing hair loss treatment for women, thinning may increase.
- With proper treatment, you may reduce the tendency of receding or thinning hair and promote regrowth.
- The treatment for FPHL delivers the best outcome when started early.
- It is necessary to visit a qualified and experienced dermatologist to detect whether the hair thinning option is due to FPHL or an underlying condition.
- Not all hair loss is due to FPHL, even though the symptoms may appear similar, so a dermatologist can rule out the symptoms and make a proper diagnosis.
Whether it is thinning hair or hair loss in women, a dermatologist can best detect the symptoms of FPHL and suggest the best treatment.
Symptoms and causes of female pattern hair loss:
In female pattern hair loss, the hair growth reduces gradually, but it takes time for new hair to grow. The hair follicles start shrinking, making the hair thinner and breaking easily. It is usual for women to lose about fifty to a hundred strands of hair each day, but FPHL increases the chances of baldness. Although women are less likely to go completely bald, the thinning pattern can be noted throughout the hair. Here are the types of baldness to happen.
- The first type of baldness pattern is when thinning starts around the part.
- The second type is when the part widens further, and a significant amount of thinning may be noted around it.
- The third type is comprehensive thinning and a bald patch area on the top of the scalp.
The female pattern hair loss may manifest in different ways, depending on the factors causing hair thinning. Here is a glimpse at the causes of FPHL.
- Overactive or underactive thyroid
Hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism may be one of the causes of female pattern hair loss, and the dermatologist may recommend a blood test to measure the TSH levels.
Women with a low level of iron in the blood may suffer from female pattern baldness, and a test to detect the iron levels in the blood may improve the resulting hair loss.
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
When the female body produces excessive androgens, it may reduce hair growth.
- Emotional trauma and stress
When you suffer from a severe illness, trauma, are weight loss or get pregnant, hair thinning is one of the most typical symptoms to note.
- Effects of drugs
Hair loss can be a significant side effect of various drugs, such as those used to treat arthritis, depression, cancer, cardiac issues, high blood pressure, or gout.
The hair loss treatment accounts for the causes of thinning and bald patches at first before recommending the symptoms.
Once you know the causes of hair loss, it is time you pour over the symptoms:
- Slow thinning of hair on the top of the head
The gradual thinning on the top of the head or reduced hairline on the forehead and broadening of the hair around the part are noted in women with FPHL.
- Loosening of hair strands
The hair strand may suddenly become loose due to an emotional or physical shock, and you may notice thick strands of hair coming out when combing your hair. The loose strands of hair may cause widespread thinning of hair.
- Bald patches
Women often lose hair in a circular pattern, resulting in bald patches appearing on the scalp and you may experience itching before hair fall.
Female pattern hair loss – current treatment concepts:
Once the doctor determines the causes of hair thinning, here are the current treatment options that apply:
- PRP or platelet-rich plasma injections
The administration of PRP injection on the scalp improves hair thickness and density of hair. The aim of PRP treatment for hair is to provide hair stimulating nutrients to the scalp.
- Oral finasteride
Consuming 5 mg of finasteride daily, hair loss improves radically.
- Topical 2% minoxidil
Minoxidil is recommended to treat female pattern hair loss and should be applied in specific quantities daily.
Using the diuretic spironolactone at a specific dose helps improve female pattern hair loss.
- Zinc sulphate and calcium pantothenate:
A combination of topical minoxidil with zinc sulphate and calcium pantothenate tablets in required doses also provide good results in FPHL.
You can go for PRP hair loss treatment or the other non-surgical treatment options for hair loss.
Non-surgical treatment option for female pattern baldness:
The treatment for female pattern baldness depends on the extent of hair loss. Among the most effective non-surgical method of hair loss are:
- PRP injection therapy
- Minoxidil and finasteride
- Laser cap
- Cosmetic cover-ups
Surgical treatment option for female pattern baldness:
When it comes to searching for methods to treat hair loss, hair grafting or hair transplant treatment is a surgical procedure at the surgeon’s office. In this procedure, the surgeon removes a portion of the scalp bearing hair, cuts it into small segments with different amounts of hair in each graft, and finally transplants them into the bald patches, creating a natural look.
The best hair loss treatments from Metamorphosis for female hair loss:
If you are experiencing a receding hairline from the forehead or thinning of hair around the part, Metamorphosis Clinic offers hair fall treatment for men and women.
- Hair nourishing treatment
- Hair regain therapy
- Autologous platelet gel therapy
- Hair transplant treatment
Why nutrition is an essential factor in treating female pattern hair loss:
Female pattern hair loss is one of the growing concerns and a frustrating problem affecting about 40% of all women. Although hormones, stress levels, environment, and genetics play a significant role in causing FPHL, nutrition is substantial.
- The hair follicles are active metabolically, so nutrient deficiency, calorie restrictions, and limiting protein intake in the diet impact hair growth.
- Iron deficiency is one of the significant factors causing hair loss, and studies show that enhancing iron supplements increases hair growth.
- The deficiencies in essential fatty acids, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Biotin, Folic acid and selenium.
- When the body becomes deficient in Vitamin B12, folate, riboflavin, and copper may also cause hair loss.
If you experience hair loss due to nutritional deficiencies, the healthcare professional recommends medical examinations before administering the treatment. With hair thinning problems increasing, you need to study the appearance of symptoms as early as possible. The sooner you work on hair thinning and female pattern baldness symptoms, the higher is the chance of success as far as regrowth of hair is concerned.
FAQs about female pattern baldness treatment:
- Is permanent regrowth possible in the bald areas after a hair loss treatment or hair transplant?
Most hair loss treatments reduce hair loss and do not guarantee permanent regrowth. However, the hair transplant results are long-lasting and endless as it uses micrografting technology in which the hair follicles are donated to the thinning areas of the scalp.
- Can female pattern baldness be reversed?
No, female pattern baldness is irreversible. With proper treatment, you can prevent further hair loss or regrow some of the hair you have already lost. However, the result of the treatment may not show before a year.
- Will PRP hair loss treatment or hair transplant surgery restore my original hair density?
The PRP hair loss treatment promotes hair growth and improves the density of hair in most cases. Most patients reportedly grow about 30% to 40% of the hair loss. Typically, a hair transplant restores about 40% to 50% of the original hair density.
- From where will you extract the hair follicles for hair transplantation?
The dermatologists remove hair from the bald patch at the back of the head and extract the hair follicles from the scalp. There are tiny marks from the area of removal of each follicle.
- How can I contact Metamorphosis for female pattern baldness treatment?
For female pattern baldness treatment, you can make an appointment with the Delhi or Mumbai centres online, get the necessary information through email or call the respective numbers.